A legal marriage in Thailand consists of both parties registering their marriage
in person with the local Thai Amphoe (Civil Registry Office ). The USA does
recognize the validity of such a marriage.

To marry a Thai citizen or a foreigner, you must:

1. Complete an affidavit at the American consulate in Bangkok or Consulate in
Chiangmai. Forms are available on request & also the Thai equivalent. The
form must be completed & notarized (Fee: $50.00 per notary seal.  You may pay
in U.S. dollars or the equivalent in Thai baht.  Also, they accept most major
credit cards.) at the Embassy or consulate.  This affidavit basically states that
one is available (single, widowed, divorced) for marriage.  Chiangmai services
are on Mon & Wed from 1-1.30pm.
To go directly to the
Consulate appointment site, copy and past this link in your
Address Bar:

Click Here to download Eligible to Marry Affidavit

2. Have the Affidavit Translated into Thai.  Get a certified translation of the
executed affidavit..  If you use a translation service, they will do this for you.

3. Have It Legalized.  Take the affidavit and translation to the Thai Ministry of
Foreign Affairs Legalization Division to have them “legalized.”  They have
offices in Chiang Mai and Bangkok.  This process might take several days, and
there will be a fee.

In Chiang Mai:
Legalization Division
Department of Consular Affairs
Chiang Mai Provincial Hall Building
Chotana Road, T.Chang Puek
A. Muang, Chiang Mai 50000
Tel.: 053-112-748, 053-112-749, or 053-112-750

In Bangkok:
Legalization Division
Department of Consular Affairs
Ministry of Foreign Affairs
123 Chaeng Wattana Road, 3rd Floor
Tung Song Hong, Laksi, Bangkok
Tel.: 02-575-1056 or 02-575-1057

4. Take affidavit & supportive documents to a local Amphoe & register yourself
as married. The Amphoe will also require the following.  This may take a couple
of hours.

(a). Your valid American Passport

(b) Certified copy of termination of your previous marriages, if any
    (divorce decree or death cert) with Thai translation.

(c) If either party is under 20 yrs, parents' presence or written permission
     ( with Thai translation if necessary) is required

1.    Married to Thai National

If you get married in Thailand, your marriage is legally valid only when you
register it with the civil registrar at district office ("Amphur" in Thai).  This is
true whether or not you have a wedding ceremony.  If you want your spouse to
have the legal rights of a spouse (including rights of inheritance), you must
register your marriage.  Registered Thai marriages are valid for most U.S.
purposes, including immigration.

2.    40,000 Baht per month combined income or 400,000 baht in bank

a)    Working in Thailand – You must provide your work permit, and
 taxation records
b)    Income from outside Thailand – You must provide a certified income
 statement from your embassy. You may also be asked to provide a letter
 from your employer, or other documents to support the proof of income,
 such as bank statements
c)    Your spouse provides income – Spouse must provide taxation records

Note: Outside of Bangkok - 2 copies of each item are usually required.  Sign
all copies prior to submittal.

 1. Application form T.M. 7 -  To download form   CLICK HERE  
 2. One photograph size 4x6 cm.
 3. Copy of passport and the original passport. (Passport must be valid at
      least 18 months)
 4. Visa Fee 1900 Baht

Required Documentation

 A. Marriage Certificate (Kor Ror 3)
 B. Child's birth certificate(s) (if any)
 C  Copy of Wife’s house registration (Kor Ror 2)
 D. Copy of Wife’s identity card (Tabbien Baan)
 Pictures of the married couple taken inside their residence in Thailand.
 F. Medical Certificate
 G.Take your wife to be interviewed (Immigration will want to interview
     both of you
 H. One or Two witnesses may be required
 I.  A map showing the way to your house
 J. Photo's of you and your wife in and around the house

If a
Birth Certificate is requested and she does not have one, here is some
information I picked up researching the internet:

•        If she has lost her birth certificate, go to the hospital where she was born
   and get verification from them that she was born there.  Take this
   information to the City Hall in your provenience to get a duplicate Birth

•        If she has lost her birth certificate and the hospital has no record, go to
   the Police station and report it lost.  They will fill out a report.  Take this
   report to City Hall to get a duplicate

•        If she was not born in a hospital, try to get the information from the
   Doctor or midwife,  then go to City Hall for the certificate

•        If you do not have a birth certificate and are unable to get one, you must
   provide a certified copy of the identification pages of at least one of the
   following documents:
      • Passport
      • Family book showing both parents’ names
      • Identification document issued by the government
      • Document issued by a court that verifies your identity

If you are unable to provide one of these documents, you must provide
other acceptable evidence that you are who you claim to be (check with
City Hall as to what they will accept)

Your wife may also need to take a Thai friend with her.  Depending on the
immigration officer.  
 Also, you may need to take your wife with you when  
you renew the Marriage Visa.

NOTE:  At their discretion, immigration may ask for further proof of marriage

-    The marriage visa consideration process involves two trips to immigration.
Non-immigrant visa's are normally issued for 90 days.  If all your paperwork is
in order, you go back to immigration in 90 days (your visa will be granted for an
additional 275 to complete the year.  After your first extention is completed you
will be able to extend your stay 365 days, year after year.

                                   Visa Fee 1900.-Baht

1.        With a Marriage VISA you are legally able to work in Thailand.  You do
need to obtain a Work Permit though

2.        The financial requirement is only 40,000 baht a month (combined income
for you and your wife) or 400,000 baht a year or a combination thereof.  For
example:  You have a monthly income of 20,000 baht but you have 160,000 baht
in the bank.  As long as a combination of the two equal at least 400,000 baht a

NOTE:  You are still required to file a TM 47 with the Dept of Immigration
every 90 days.

I have been told that to Renew a Marriage Visa you basically have to go
through the same process.  

Depending on the Immigration office, this may or may not be true.  But to be on
the safe side, you should take all the same documents with you to possibly
avoid having to come back another day.


In the event of divorce, the validity of your marriage visa may be forfeited
and you will have to leave the country immediately, or convert to a
different type of visa. Sometimes, you will be allowed to stay in the
country until the expiration of your current marriage visa.

Not notifying immigration of your divorce while on an extension of stay
based on marriage and have it cancelled would mean you are on
overstay from the day after your divorce resulting in a fine of 500 baht per

Click Picture To Enlarge
Don's Life In Thailand
Marriage Visa Thailand
(Non-Imm "O" VISA)
Updated June 2016
"O" VISA Forms
The Thai marriage visa as it is known is called a non-immigrant “O” Visa. The
“O” standing for “Other” are issued to foreigners married to a Thai national.

NOTE:   The rules and regulation for this visa type are constantly changing, so
please check with local Thai Authorities for updated information.

Click Here to Download Visa Forms - You can download in Adobe format or
Microsoft Word format

If you don't have Adobe, you can download it here   

Download PDF Exchange Viewer to fill in and print  forms saved in Adobe format

This is a service used by a
friend of mine when he got

Cost was only 3000 Baht

Be sure to bring your wife with
you as they do not speak

Asia Translation Service

4 Inthawarorot Rd., T Sriphum
A Muang, Chiang Mai 50200

Schedule of fees
As Of
June, 2014

Click to Enlarge Picture
Open Hours
08:30 AM - 04:30 PM

Closed for Lunch
12:00 - 01:00

Phone 053-201755-6

71 Moo 3, Airport Road
(just beyond Airport Plaza)

You are advised to arrive
as early as 07:00.
Renew Marriage Visa