The information below is to register your marriage.  It does not cover the cost of the Wedding
Ceremony which can range from very simple to very elaborate.

I've been to 2 weddings in Thailand.  One very simple and One very elaborate.  To read about both of

If you get married in Thailand, your marriage is legally valid only when you register it with the civil registrar at
district office ("Amphur" in Thai).  This is true whether or not you have a wedding ceremony.  If you want your
spouse to have the legal rights of a spouse (including rights of inheritance), you must register your marriage.  
Registered Thai marriages are valid for most U.S. purposes, including immigration.

Before you can register your marriage, however, the civil registrar will require that you get from your Embassy
or Consulate a document establishing your eligibility to marry.

SHOULD I HIRE AN AGENT?  (2000 – 5000 Baht)

You may prefer to hire an Agent but this will add to the cost of your marriage.


1. Get an Affidavit of Eligibility to Marry.
(1800 – 3500 Baht depending upon your countries’ Embassy)

•        Make an appointment at your Consulate for “Notarial Services.”
•        For US Citizens Download the Affidavit of Eligibility to Marry form (PDF, 42 KB).  Please complete items
1-9, but
do not sign it.  When filling in the form, please write your name exactly as it appears on the
photo page of your U.S. Passport.  

For Citizens of other countries, contact your Embassy for the appropriate form.

•        At your appointment time, go to the Consulate to execute the completed affidavit.  There is a $50.00 fee
for US Citizens.  You may pay in U.S. Dollars or the equivalent in Thai Baht.  Also, the American
Consulate accept most major credit cards.

NOTE:  If your fiancé(e) is not a citizen of the U.S. or Thailand, you might have to get a similar affidavit or
other document from his or her Embassy.  Check with that Embassy.

2.  Have It Translated.  Get a certified translation of the executed affidavit.  For a list of translators                  
CLICK HERE  (200 – 400 Baht)

3.  Have It Legalized.  Take the affidavit and translation to the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs Legalization
Division to have them “legalized.”  They have offices in Chiang Mai and Bangkok.  This process might take
several days, and there will be a fee.  Contact:  
 (about 800 Baht)    

In Chiang Mai:
Legalization Division
Department of Consular Affairs
Chiang Mai Provincial Hall Building
Chotana Road, T.Chang Puek
A. Muang, Chiang Mai 50000
Tel.: 053-112-748, 053-112-749, or 053-112-750

In Bangkok:
Legalization Division
Department of Consular Affairs
Ministry of Foreign Affairs
123 Chaeng Wattana Road, 3rd Floor
Tung Song Hong, Laksi, Bangkok
Tel.: 02-575-1056 or 02-575-1057

You should call ahead to confirm the operating hours and the fee, as these may change.
 Also, some
translation shops can take care of this step for an additional fee.

4.  Register Your Marriage.
 With your fiancé(e), go to the civil registrar office in the Amphur where you
reside.  In addition to the legalized affidavit and translation, you will need:

•        Your U.S.
Passport (2 Copies)  (I’ve heard your Passport must be  valid for at least 6 months)

•        Your Visa

•        Government-issued identification for your fiancé(e), such as a passport or national ID card.

•        The Letter of Affirmation of Freedom to Marry (The original & Certified Translation, plus copies of both)

•        Your
Fiancee’s Tabien Baan (house log) (Thai nationals) – 2  copies of Your Finacee’s Tabien Baan
(House Log)

•        If you or your fiancé(e) is under age twenty:  Written consent of the parents.  If this is not in Thai, you
also should bring a certified translation.  
 (Translation 200 – 400 Baht)

•        If you or your fiancé(e) was previously married to someone else:  Original, government-issued
document showing that the marriage ended, such as a death certificate, divorce certificate, or court
decree.  If this is not in Thai, you also should bring a certified translation   
(Translation 200 – 400

•        You will also need 2 witnesses.  The Amphur can provide these but it’s easier if you bring
your own witnesses

You may also wish to get a Notarized translation of your marriage certificate into your native language
so that it can be used as a legal document back in your home country.  
 (Translation 200 – 400 Baht)

As stated above, this is just to Register your marriage.  Below is a list of possible additional cost  for
the actual Marriage

Thai Wedding Dress
Traditional Suit for Groom
Wedding Ceremony
Wedding Cake
Fee for Monks (3,5,7 or 9 Monks)
Wedding package
Thai-style morning ceremony
Western-style evening party/dinner
Makeup and hair
Souvenirs for Guest

For the actual Wedding cost you can check out the websites below for additional information.

Thai Wedding Cost
Wedding Prices
Types of Weddings and Location

Thai Wedding, the Checklist (complied by The Nation Newspaper
Click Here  

For information about Divorce in Thailand  
How to Register Your Marriage In Thailand
Cost of Actual Wedding
Divorce In Thailand
Don's Life In Thailand (Chiang Mai)